St John, Hadzor
Hadzor was part of the settlement of Katherine of Aragon after her divorce from King Henry VIII.
This church is mainly a 14th century building which is now redundant. It is tucked away in the tiny village next to Hadzor Hall, built for Richard Amphlett in 1779, but altered for J.H. Galton fifty years later. Much of the history of Hadzor is bound up with these two families. The Amphletts moved on to build and live at Wychbold Hall, there are memorials to them both at Hadzor and Wychbold. Two famous members of the Galton family were Sir Richard the scientist, and Sir Douglas the engineer. The latter was an early supporter of cremation, but despite this, is buried at Hadzor. At the beginning of the 21st century, a housing development was built incorporating the Hall’s stable block.