Causeway Meadows Farm
An indenture dated 10 December 1563 is the earliest known document relating to ‘Corsey Meadow Farm’. This was a lease by the Lord of the Manor of Wychbold, Thomas Carewe Esq., to William Hill for the messuage, outbuildings, farm lands and hereditaments thereon, for 3000 years at the yearly rent of one penny, payable on the Feast of St. Michael, if demanded. By this indenture William was, in effect, buying the freehold of the property.
A William Hill was still in possession in 1634, but Thomas Nash attended the Manor Court in 1635. In 1664, Sir Thomas Nash paid hearth tax on 12 hearths, suggesting that his house was the largest in the parish of Dodderhill at that time. This house is likely to have been at Causeway Meadows as the Nash family were not associated with any other residence in Dodderhill at the time judging from the hearth tax evidence.
The farm remained in the Nash family until 1880 when it was bought by Mathew Wilson, the owner of Astwood Court Farm. In 1887 he sold Causeway Meadow Farm to John Corbett in return for an annuity and a further agreement whereby he would be a tenant at a yearly rent of £200 pa. After Mathew’s death in 1892, the annuity was changed in favour of his wife Fanny, who received £70 pa for her natural life. By 1910 Mr Thomas Mathew Wilson was in occupation, and in 1920 he later bought the farm, containing 101.309 acres, from the Trustees of the Corbett Estate for £5644 7s.8d.