Crutch is an “extra parochial” area, that although it appears to be part of Dodderhill, did not pay any tithes to any parish. There was settlement there at least from Norman times. In the 12th century the manor was granted to Westwood Nunnery: it remained theirs until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538. We do not know where the original manor house stood, but at the time of the Civil War, when the manor belonged to Henry Townsend of Elmley Lovett, there were two separate occupancies, and probably two separate houses. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Wall family and the Tolley family both lived at Crutch, and in 1704 Thomas Tolley’s will tells that he occupies “the parlour, the hall and the Kilne house (this was a building used for baking and drying grain for brewing and containing a malt-kiln), with chambers over the four rooms with the gardens and orchards … fold yards, barns, stable and outhouses.” Today there is one farmhouse, basically 18th century but with older features. There is no documentary evidence as to the date of this building.