Red House Farm
This farmhouse, as seen today, has been much altered and modernised over time. The heavily-beamed ceilings to the ground-floor rooms suggest that it was built prior to the mid- to latter part of the 18th century. When more accommodation space was required the existing walls were raised by 2 or 3 feet to allow for the increased ceiling-height required in the second-floor rooms, and a third floor was created in the roof-space, which was usually occupied by children or servants. This method of adding additional accommodation to existing houses seems to have been a common feature in buildings in this particular part of Worcestershire.
In 1779, Red House Farm, then in the occupation of ‘Widow Nash’, was owned by Anne Purshall, who left it in her will to her niece, Elizabeth Lechmere. The property remained in the ownership of the Lechmere family until 7 August 1862 when it was sold at auction at the George Hotel in Droitwich, at 5 o’clock. The farm, comprising a farmhouse and agricultural buildings, together with ‘about 70 acres of highly productive land in the tenure & occupation of Mr. Thomas Nash’ was sold to John Corbett. Shortly afterwards Thomas Nash gave up the tenancy and by 1871 the house was no longer occupied.
From the latter part of the 19th century the house was being let to: John Pinches, blacksmith; Frederick Pincher, foreman pansmith; William Solven, coal merchant; William Colley (formerly of 22 Sagebury Terrace) who paid rent of £14 pa; Rev. Dan Wrigley; and finally, in 1920, to William Reeves of Stoke Works, rate collector, who was tenant at the time of the sale, bought Red House Farm together with 3-7-0 acres for £164 from the Trustees of the Corbett Estate.