(The Norman Conquest – The Battle of Bosworth)
Worcestershire was a heavily wooded area and Dodderhill lay within the Forest of Feckenham until 1301 when the boundaries changed. The forest was reserved for hunting by the monarch.
Not all the parish was woodland and agriculture was the main activity/industry on the remainder of the land.
The salt industry continued with the King, the monasteries, and the local townspeople of Droitwich each taking a share of the wealth generated.
Two monastic foundations were established in Dodderhill during the period, one being the nunnery at Westwood and the other possibly St Mary’s Hospital near Chapel Bridge.
A mediaeval token as used on an accounting (chequers) board – perhaps for the salt trade.
Following the Conquest by the Normans in 1066, the manor of Wychbold including Dodderhill, Westwood and Crutch passed to Osbern son of Richard Scrope. As with earlier owners, it is likely that he did not live in the manor but employed a bailiff or steward to administer it and ensure Osbern received its revenues. As these included the profit from the sale of the large entitlement to salt, (as already detailed in the Sub-Roman/Anglo-Saxon period) the manor was a valuable asset.