St Michael, Stoke Prior
The parish was originally much larger, incorporating Finstall to the north. The manor had a priest at the time of Domesday, and parts of the present church date from Norman times. The tower is of particularly fine Early English work, maybe by the same masons as the east end of Worcester cathedral. It houses a ring of eight bells. Inside, the church shows a variety of styles of architecture, Norman arches on the north side of the nave and Early English on the south side are easily recognisable. The windows are mostly gifted by John Corbett, whose saltworks were in the parish. The east window was installed to commemorate his decision to cease the employment of female labour in the works. In the priest’s vestry there is a modern window depicting the famous “Big Chimney” which stood at Stoke Works from 1836 to 1957.
The lychgate was constructed out of timbers from the mediaeval church porch. Near the path to it is the grave of John Corbett.